I’ve finished the code to generate the room layout of the Underworld.
Anyway, I’ve been working on my game. Automatically generating names turned out to be a bit more work than I thought, so I haven’t, despite what I said in my last post, finished character creation. This system will be useable for NPCs as well though, and I think it adds a lot of flavor.
There’s also been a bit of ‘feature creep’–I kept thinking of options I should add (maximum HP at first level, attribute changes for non-human races etc.). So, while I haven’t finished, I probably would have finished if I’d only done what I was going to do. I’ve decided to just note down ideas to add in the future rather than adding them as I think of them.
Anyway, after character creation, the next step is creating a simple ‘underworld’ or megadungeon. The game will have this underworld, which you can enter via the city of Telelee or through some ruins, which will be a source of wealth and experience but not the way you win the game.
I decided to convert my game to software (I’m using Twine), and to pre-2000 D&D rules.
I’ve nearly finished character creation using the types found in OD&D (with a lot of common house rules such as maximum HP at first level). The game will also have (at least) Neanderthals, robots, Atlanteans and Western gunslingers as player-character options.
Doing it as software will mean I can send out copies over the net for free. So hopefully it will be easier and cheaper to get feedback and buzz.
I’ve been waiting on feedback for the draft of my game.
However, I haven’t either gotten the amount of feedback, or generated the amount of buzz, that I’d hoped.
It also cost more than I expected to send the drafts out.
So I’m considering doing the game as software. It would, at least, be easier and cheaper to get drafts out.
I got my first playtester feedback today. So I’ll try to start work on a new draft soon. As well as correcting things that playtesters point out, I have several new game elements that I want to add.